Sunday, February 26, 2012

When the world is not enough

It was in 1993 that she was born. I was eleven when she came to my life.  Eighteen years later she is back to surprise me. It seems like God listened to my very old prayers after all.

'When is she gonna start talking, mom?' I used to ask about my sister to my mom. She said to give her time. My sister was about three years old and the only words she said were ' DAH' and more 'DAH'. Three years later she was on full TALKY mode and couldn't be switched off so I put a kitchen towel  in her mouth to stop her from answering back to me when arguing. It was also the Age Difference realization time. 

When she was a baby, I used to take her and put her on my tummy to make her sleep. Years later when sharing the same room,  I used to switch off the lights and pretend to be a an evil witch with evil sounds to make her sleep. She only cried. 

One time I prayed to God to make my sister grow big so I can finally talk to her about my problems and share beautiful experiences with her. But it seemed timed passed by and it never happened. I grew up to be an adult, she grew up to be a teenager. 

God meanwhile gave me other things to pursue; I went to highschool, I went to college. I went to work, I went travelling, I got blissfully married. Despite all these things in my life, I realized, yesterday, that my world like this is not enough.

The search for an idyllic life with idyllic circumstances only takes you away from the truth that, family is the only thing that matters. I missed my sister yesterday. I missed not having her so much around. I missed having thoughts of her to grow quicker and understand my life. I missed the world where there were only two sisters, her and me. 

Then Saturday came and so did she. My now eighteen years old sister and I spent a very natural sister time. I then understood this is the sister I've always prayed for. This is the sister that can talk to me now about her problems, this is the sister I can talk and share grown-up things with. After only eighteen years, God finally in a very subtle way said' There, tell me now, was it not worth the wait?' I must admit I love it when I am wrong and He is right.

Now I have a lifetime ahead to share and experience with her. This awareness inside me felt like a lightning bolt. I can finally say that the world without a sister would not be enough.







No comments:

Post a Comment