Sunday, February 19, 2012

iQ = success?

Today morning soon after I'd had a glass of water and let some daylight in the living room, I sat on our red sofa and started to read a book called The Winner's brain.

The book teaches 8 strategies the great minds use to achieve success. I guess I was curious to find out whether I've used some of these strategies at some point in my life.

The book reminded me that being successful doesn't always mean owning your own company, being super rich, having a mansion with servants or going for a foreign trip every 3 months. In fact, Anyone who achieves something that has personal meaning to them is a successful person, he or she is an achiever. It also says that IQ, circumstances and luck have nothing to do with success.

I must admit that I never was an A student. In fact, I was an average student, sometimes below average, but that never really seemed to bother me. I remember my high school time when I definitely did want to pass my exams and not be called a dummy. But If I think it through, I guess the things that I did and achieved at school were because of this desire to make my mother proud. Deep inside I knew I was doing that effort to please my only and greatest fan, my mother. It meant a lot for her to see me graduate so I kept studying so that she can always be proud of me. This was between the ages 14 and 19.

When university time came, that's when I hit rock bottom. Literally. I understood at some early point that the career path I had chosen was not apparently the right choice for me, but I guess I thought it was too late to change that. ( I know, I was young and ignorant). So, basically during my uni studies I felt completely out of place yet I understood at some level, that life isn't just about studying and getting A's.

I even remember some students at my class laughing at me when I did not know an answer yet still I persevered and graduated. That was between the age 21-24

During this time also I did not have another income but that of the government. I shared a flat with my high school friend. It was really affordable and the government would pay for our studies for as long as they lasted. So it was an easy yet a 'wonder-what-would-become-of-me' life.  I had basically nothing of my own but a family that has been standing by my side till today.

Am I an achiever? Without intending to sound arrogant, I want to say I am an achiever. I am. I don't know how to describe the step-by-step strategies that are written in books but I know I've used my mind and heart to obtain what I have today, that is, my own personal goals that have had great meaning to me only.

Writing a blog is for instance a personal reward. I feel happy writing it and it is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Yet for you it's not as important and you'd rather read blogs than writing one.

So, can you see now your own personal achievements? can you find your own personal talents? A talent can be being a great friend, a daughter, a brother, a mother, a father, a speaker, a writer, a reader, a cook, a teacher, an instrument player. Anything that brings passion to you. Anything you feel proud about.

Today I am 29 and between ages 29-105 I want to achieve even greater personal things. I want to have children. I want them to be happy. I want N to be happy. I want my family and friends to be happy.

I want to be happy.

Live your life to the fullest. Do only things you love.






3 comments: