Thursday, February 23, 2012

Public transportation, fancy a ride?

Just when I was about to make it this morning, that is, after leaving fashionable late from home and running faster than Usain Bolt to take it, my dear bus that was supposed to take me to the train station ( and to work ),  just went by without stopping. I mean, it could at least winked a back light or something but no, oh no, the soon to be dead in my dreams driver just drove off despite seeing me making STOP signs with both arms and legs. I swear I jumped higher than free Willy but no mercy whatsoever from his side.

Public transportation can be that fun sometimes. On the excuse of maintaining number one place on right timings, drivers assume it's better for the country to have well scheduled buses than people who are sane, because after this episode, I almost lost it.

So assuming I'd spend again another day working from home, I went back, head facing ground, towards the stop in front of our place to wait for the next bus. Luckily It came after just 10 minutes so I made it to the next train that leaves to Helsinki. I was already late for work at this point.

The trip couldn't have been more tragic after I had realized I had forgotten my music player at home. There is nothing more monotonous than to travel in a train full of , sometimes scary, passengers. This is why I need my music player that sings my favorite hindi songs.

Soon after I got off the train, went to pick the next connection bus. As customary, it was full. And this is Finland, people. Indian buses have less people than here. So here again I managed to get trapped among passengers where there is no place to get hold of and, after being swayed from one's person back to the other, I managed too to get off at my stop and feel the oxygen in my lungs again. Since I was 15 minutes late I ran to work.

The irony of the story is that we do have a car but we never use it. Like it's there like a statue seeing 4 seasons quietly. It does wake up in the summer time and we use it a lot in the autumn, but for the rest of the year we put him to sleep. 

What I need is more consideration from the drivers. Think how cold it can be sometimes here. Think of the location. It's not like I live down town where buses come every 5 minutes. My buses come every 30 minutes and that's between 7-10. After that only 1 every hour. 

Yes, I'd fancy a ride, for as long as I feel I am welcomed. After all I've paid for a travel card for every month, right?








1 comment:

  1. yo gurl, i don't understand where do you find time to write this?? But is awesome, keep going ;) love you, your little sister <3

    ReplyDelete