Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The friendly intruder

Today after work, I decided to head to the center to my favorite green / organic shop Ruohonjuuri. It's a small shop with a wide variety of organic stuff, ranging from food to cosmetics.

Today's turn was shampoo/ body gel/ cleansing cream ( almond - which does not require tonic water after) and some incense sticks for the house, because I love to purify the house with smell and air.

On my way back to the bus stop, I spotted the same guy I have seen so many times before. It's a romanian guy that came to Finland in the hope of a better life. He is a beggar. Yet he is not the rude, mal-intenioned, give-me-all attitude owning person. In fact, every time I pass by him, he looks up at me and smiles.

I never give him money. I never do it here. They say they come from an organized crime gang. Like, there is this boss that forces them to beg and everything they make, they have to send it back to Romania. You know, there are the richest people in Romania in the poorest of neighbors. The reason? Go figure.

I call him an intruder, because he is obviously not from here and nor he wants to become part of the society, to be like everyone else. He was to remain in his position of a beggar even if it hurts, whether it's -30 degrees or +30. He doesn't want to adapt but he won't change his character either.

He must be around 40 but has the smile of a 5 years old. His puppy looking eyes show sorrow though. One day, there were these guys in front of me who passed him by and actually shouted something at him and I think they kicked him. He yelled. But it was a yell of a 2 years old saying '*why you hurt me*, * I don't understand** I am sitting here and you hurt me* * it makes me sad*

I kept walking just looking at his expression. Sadness was reflected from his eyes. He was very disturbed and ashamed for letting that happen to him. He didn't defend himself because he must think that is part of this game called life that he is been brought up to. But I still remember his eyes.......

.....They told me there and then that he is forever a friendly intruder.



No comments:

Post a Comment