Friday, March 2, 2012

Why wives do and men don't?

The other night when I was starting to cook at around eight, I felt a little bit bored. Had no energy whatsoever but we needed to eat. In that moment N enters the kitchen and once our eyes met, I asked ' Why is it that women have to cook for the men?' He burst into a laugh.

He obviously didn't know the answer right then and there and I think he managed to mumble the words * I don't know*. Slow paced. He then proceeded to ask ' Do you want me to cook?' to which I answered, 'No, it's ok'. Next I switched on my internal dialogue and asked myself the next question, ' If men and women are both working, why is it that when both get home, the women start to cook? '

Reason would tell me that unless you are very rich, you have to cook and eat at home. I do, of course, want to eat top chef restaurant foods served on my plate. I do want that kind of home delivery, but then again, is it worth paying all those restaurant bills? Besides, I can make myself what I consider top chef food. It comes with love and it tastes delicious. So I do admit cooking at home gets 1 point for now. 

What about the other chores? Like cleaning and doing laundry? Why do men assume that's a chore that automatically has to be done by the wife? Is it because their moms did the same? That's a pretty good reason. Not arguing about that. Then again, if you tell them, the guys, to clean and do laundry, they'll do it without a problem. They are programmed to understand and complete a task, but next time you come home together, it's us, women, again switching to cleaning mode. Men, to resting mode. Not that I am again complaining. You all know how I love cleaning and cooking, but what happens when I get tired or bored? Who is in charge then? 

I guess on a day like this, long time back, a woman like me just felt she had enough. She had enough of doing things she understood men were capable of doing as well. That's how feminism took place? I'll never know.

My mom once told me that men can learn anything if you just teach them. I did that. I taught N the basics and he does a good job with home maintenance. He cooks when he sees I am tired and most of all, he takes good care of me. It seems like the deposit account in our relationship is full from both sides. 

Despite all this, I still wonder, ' Has it also become our daily chore to complicate and over analyze things we, women, opted to live for?' Because I am pretty sure N does not ever analyze his input or mine for that matter. He just seems to be happy the way things are. One big point for men now.





No comments:

Post a Comment